We’re on a mission to bring more choice, more savings and a better overall insurance experience to British Columbians. We’re also dedicated to bringing innovation to the auto insurance sector through the use of safe driving technologies that provide lower cost insurance to new drivers who might not otherwise qualify.
Our Commitment to You
Stratford Underwriting Agency takes pride in its commitment to a set of important values, and we truly believe that our business partners and customers will respect our values.
What we value most and are committed to demonstrating in all our business relationships:
- Honesty, integrity and quality
- Accurate and clear communication
- Fairness, equity and consistency
- Mutual respect, trust, and courtesy
- Timely responsiveness
Stratford Underwriting Agency: Value Driven
The Story of Stratford
Launched in summer 2019, Stratford is a Vancouver-based managing general underwriting agency that offers competitive optional auto insurance policies in the province, helping the vast majority of British Columbians save money. Our name is new, but Stratford’s leadership team draws on a decades-long track record on the west coast. Led by veteran insurance professional Colin Brown, we created Stratford after hearing that consumers wanted a better insurance experience that includes affordability, coverage and service.
Colin Brown, CEO
Colin Brown is a Chartered Insurance Professional and Chartered Arbitrator with over 40 years of experience in the British Columbia insurance sector.
In 1974, Colin was part of a small team that helped establish the operational framework for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. He then went on to hold a number of senior claims and underwriting management positions with ICBC, including the position of Chief Underwriter from 1988 to 1995.
In 1995, Colin joined Canadian Direct Insurance’s executive team, and remained with the company as Chief Operating Officer until the company’s sale in 2015. Under his leadership, Canadian Direct was awarded the J.D. Power and Associates Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Award in 2011-2013, and Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures Award.
Colin holds a B.Sc. degree from the Queens University of Belfast and a Master’s Degree in Liberal Studies from Simon Fraser University.
Join our team
Our team of value driven insurance professionals takes pride in their commitment to doing what is right for our business partners, customers, colleagues and community. Explore the opportunities below and start an exciting career that brings challenge and opportunity!
Contact HR at Stratford:
Available positions with us:
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Claims Manager, this position will bring a technical background and will provide outstanding customer service throughout the claims process. You will thoroughly investigate the loss, evaluate policy coverage, negotiate, and settle the claim within company guidelines, and collaborate with the Underwriting team on claims files.
- Exceptional communication skills, strong ability to work with others in highly emotional situations;
- Ability to handle a high-volume workload and be flexible to changing business needs;
- Have respect, integrity, ethical behaviour and encourage an ownership mentality;
- Perform full cycle claims handling from first notice of loss, to negotiation of settlement and final payment;
- Ability to handle losses that have may have coverage issues;
- Ability to determine/assess liability and have a working knowledge of the subrogation process, as well as recognize and follow up on subrogation where applicable;
- Works within the claims database ensuring accurate and detailed records including scanned documents are up to date;
- Coordinate with others (Underwriting, Operations, Independent Adjusters) during the claims process;
- Review policy wording and policy coverage to ensure settlements align;
- Detailed oriented with strong investigative and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrate organizational and time management skills, be able to work in a high-pressure environment;
- Strong analytical skills, logical thinking, sound judgement with the ability to solve complex problems;
- Analyze reports to determine nature of loss, liability, damage, coverage provided and limits within policy;
- Takes initiative to collaborate with others (Claims, Underwriting, Operations, Independent Adjusters) and is resourceful in getting the required information to settle the claim;
- Promptly refers files exceeding authority limit to management;
- Creates ad hoc reports as required or requested.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Minimum Level 2 General Agent through the Insurance Council of BC is required for this role. Equivalency of at least a CIP or CAIB designation should qualify you for a Level 2 license;
- 1-2 years of experience in the insurance industry preferred;
- Proficient communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
What we offer
- Competitive salaries with potential for an annual raise and bonus;
- Company-matched RRSP contributions;
- Paid vacation & personal needs day;
- Tuition assistance;
- Health care spending account & wellness program;
- Group health & dental coverage;
- Remote work options;
After hours claims support may be required.