Stratford is a new, Vancouver-based underwriting agency that offers better optional vehicle insurance and savings for the vast majority of British Columbians. Experience the Stratford difference!
Looking for better options on optional vehicle insurance? You’ve come to the right place!
Get a Quote
Interested in learning about options on optional with Stratford? We’ve partnered with two of the province’s leading brokerages to serve you.
Click on a broker logo to filter locations
Our list of broker partners is always growing so you can find one in your local neighbourhood. Can’t find one yet? Check back often as we continue to add their locations frequently.
B.C. motorists are required by law to purchase basic Autoplan insurance through the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. That basic package includes third-party liability, accident benefits, underinsured motorist coverage, and hit-and-run protection.
Thankfully, you have more options than ICBC when it comes to protecting your vehicle, your family and yourself with optional auto insurance.
So, what exactly is optional insurance? While not required, it gives you peace of mind through a wide range of additional or supplemental coverages for just about anything that could go wrong on the road.
Here are the types of optional insurance available to you through Stratford:
- ExcessThird-Party Liability – Up to $4,800,000
- Collision (Vehicle Repair)
- Broken/Cracked Windshield
- Animal Damage
- Accident Forgiveness Protection
- Concierge Service
- Loss of Use
- Rental Vehicle
- Travel Protection
- Emergency Family Transportation
- Lock Re-Keying and Re-Coding
- Theft and Fire Deductible Waiver
- Destination Support
- Emergency Roadside Protection
- Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection – up to $4,000,000 additional coverage
- Personal Articles Coverage
- Replacement Cost Platinum
- Limited Waiver of Depreciation
- Gap Protection
- Recreational Motorhome Coverage
- Recreational Travel Trailer Coverage
At Stratford, we’re proud to give you better options on optional that save you money. In fact, more than 80% of British Columbians may save with driving experience, or with an easy-to-use smartphone app that promotes safe driving – and only rewards you for good driving behaviour.
With hundreds of vehicle accidents and other perils occurring in the province every day, you need the right protection. Here’s how you can save with Stratford:
- Driving experience
- Vehicle safety features
- Hybrid-electric or electric vehicles
- Many of our preferred body shops provide Stratford customers with a 10% discount
Got questions about vehicle insurance? We have answers!
What are the most commonly purchased types of optional vehicle insurance?
- Increased limits of Excess Liability Coverage: This protects you should you injure someone, or their property during a motor vehicle accident
- Collision: no one means to back into a pole, other stationary objects or even drive over a nasty pothole, but it happens. Repairs to your own vehicle damage involved in an accident fall under Collision coverage.
- Comprehensive: Did you leave something in your vehicle by mistake only to find your glass has been smashed by a thief? Did you find your entire car has been stolen? Fire, windstorm, hail, all these plus other events can cause damage which needs to be repaired. These types of occurrences can fall under Comprehensive.
How do I know what type of optional vehicle insurance is right for me?
- Our trusted broker network will walk you through the ABCs of optional vehicle insurance, ask the right questions to learn your needs, and make practical recommendations that fit your vehicle and your lifestyle.
With Basic insurance from ICBC, and Optional insurance from a private provider, will making a claim be inconvenient?
- Absolutely not. Our emergency claims line is open 24-7 to take your call. And our courteous, knowledgeable staff are always happy to take your call.
How can I make a claim against my Optional insurance?
- Just visit the convenient claims section [link] of our website, or give us a call at 604-282-0761 or 1-833-222-9981. Our staff are here to help!
Can Optional insurance be changed part-way through a policy term?
- Yes! Any changes you may need to make can be made by contacting your broker. Want to add coverage, no problem. Need to change your limits, or even remove a coverage, it’s easy. This is your coverage, the way you need it.
Do I need special insurance for travel outside of the province? How about outside the country?
- Not at all, in fact your coverage is valid all across Canada and the United States. You’ll have to stop at the border at Mexico to purchase coverage valid in that country but otherwise start packing for that road trip, we have you covered. We even have a package that can provide extended benefits should you be stranded, or in an accident and require family to get to you.
Coming Soon: Usage-Based Insurance 101 Q&A
What is Usage-Based Insurance (UBI) for driving?
- Usage-Based Insurance (UBI) is an app that encourages safe road habits by tracking driving behaviour. Information from your vehicle is communicated seamlessly to Stratford via mobile phone. We then have an accurate picture of your driving that can lead to savings.
What does UBI track?
- Telematics monitor driving habits such as speed, breaking, acceleration and cornering.
What happens if I need to react quickly to a dangerous situation, through no fault of my own?
- The system aggregates data over a long time-frame, so isolated incidents like aggressive braking will have minimal impact on your overall rating.
How much money can I save by participating in the UBI program?
- Stratford offers additional coverage benefits and discounts based on your overall score. You can save over 10% on your premium and qualify for the Collision Deductible Waiver endorsement for no additional cost.
Will using the UBI app make the cost of my optional vehicle insurance increase?
- No. Stratford gives you the opportunity to save money through the usage-based insurance program. We will never surcharge you based on your driving behaviour. You will never end up paying more than the premiums charged if you did not participate in the UBI program.
Will UBI result in higher data charges on my mobile phone?
- No. That’s because data captured by your phone is only relayed when you’re at a Wi-Fi hotspot, ensuring the system does not result in higher data charges.