Stratford is a new, Vancouver-based underwriting agency that offers better optional vehicle insurance and savings for the vast majority of British Columbians. Experience the Stratford difference!
Looking for better options on optional vehicle insurance? You’ve come to the right place!
Get a Quote
Interested in learning about options on optional with Stratford? We’ve partnered with two of the province’s leading brokerages to serve you.
Click on a broker logo to filter locations
B.C. motorists are required by law to purchase Basic Autoplan insurance through the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. That basic package includes third-party liability, accident benefits, underinsured motorist coverage, and hit-and-run protection.
Thankfully, you have more options than ICBC when it comes to protecting your vehicle, your family and yourself with optional auto insurance.
So, what exactly is Optional insurance? While not required, it gives you peace of mind through a wide range of additional or supplemental coverages for just about anything that could go wrong on the road.
Here are the types of optional insurance available to you through Stratford:
- ExcessThird-Party Liability – Up to $4,800,000
- Collision (Vehicle Repair)
- Broken/Cracked Windshield
- Animal Damage
- Accident Forgiveness Protection
- Concierge Service
- Loss of Use
- Rental Vehicle
- Travel Protection
- Emergency Family Transportation
- Lock Re-Keying and Re-Coding
- Theft and Fire Deductible Waiver
- Destination Support
- Emergency Roadside Protection
- Excess Underinsured Motorist Protection – up to $4,000,000 additional coverage
- Personal Articles Coverage
- Replacement Cost Platinum
- Limited Waiver of Depreciation
- Gap Protection
- Recreational Motorhome Coverage
- Recreational Travel Trailer Coverage
At Stratford, we’re proud to give you better options on Optional that save you money. In fact, more than 80% of British Columbians may save with driving experience.
With hundreds of vehicle accidents and other perils occurring in the province every day, you need the right protection. Here’s how you can save with Stratford:
- Driving experience
- Vehicle safety features
- Hybrid-electric or electric vehicles
- Many of our preferred body shops provide Stratford customers with a 10% discount
Got questions about vehicle insurance? We have answers!
Isn’t Stratford my Broker? I thought Stratford is my broker.
- Stratford Insurance is a licensed general agent that delivers the optional auto insurance product to you through your broker. You will find your broker’s name and telephone number at the bottom of your Declaration of Insurance.
Who is your broker?
- You can find your broker name and telephone number at the bottom of your Declaration of Insurance.
Broker : Broker – Branch – Address – Postal Code
Broker Telephone Number: 111-111-1111
I moved to a new residence. How do I change my address – who do I call?
- Call the Broker office where you signed up for your auto insurance policy.
I got a new car; how do I update my insurance policy with my new car?
- Visit the Broker office where you signed up for your auto insurance policy.
I am done with my lease for my automobile, what should I do?
- Visit the Broker office you signed up for and bring a copy of the Release of Interest from the Leasing company.
I paid the lienholder of my automobile; how do I update my insurance policy?
- Visit the Broker office you signed up for and bring a copy of the Release of Interest from the Lienholder.
How do I cancel my insurance policy?
- Call or visit the Broker office where you signed up for your auto insurance policy.
Who do I call for claims?
- Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00PM at604-282-0671 or 1-833-222-9981. After-hours service is available 24/7 for emergency situations.
Can I report a claim online?
- Yes! Please just visit the convenient claims section of our website, or give us a call at 604-282-0761 or 1-833-222-9981. Our staff are here to help!
Who is First Insurance Financing Canada?
- First Insurance is the financing company used by Stratford Insurance for your monthly payment plan option. Their address is: Suite 700- 20 Toronto Street, Toronto, ON M5C 2BC
How do I change my banking information?
- Go to the Broker’s office where you signed up for your auto insurance policy with your void cheque.
Why do I get a Notice of Acceptance from First Insurance?
- The Notice of Acceptance is the payment contract from First Insurance which manages the monthly payment plan on your policy with Stratford. It includes the instalment and payment schedule.
You will also receive this notice between 55 to 60 days prior to your renewal date.
What should I do for renewal when my Stratford policy is on monthly payment plan?
- Simply renew your Basic Insurance with ICBC, your optional insurance will automatically renew.
I paid my car policy last year with my credit card, am I able to pay for it online?
- Visit our website: stratfordins.ca and search for “Make a Payment” and follow the instructions.
I paid by credit card last year, I would like to know more about your financing plan for my renewal, what should I do?
- Visit the Broker’s office where you signed up for your auto insurance policy with your void cheque.
Please note of the minimum premium eligible for the financing plan.
I missed my monthly payment. Who should I call?
- Call First Insurance Toll-free: 1-888-232-2238 to arrange a re-debit schedule, or you may call your Broker to set up a new re-debit date to withdraw funds. You must have your financing contract number that starts with 901-xxxxxxx.
What are the most commonly purchased types of optional vehicle insurance?
- Increased limits of Excess Liability Coverage: This protects you should you injure someone, or their property during a motor vehicle accident
- Collision: no one means to back into a pole, other stationary objects or even drive over a nasty pothole, but it happens. Repairs to your own vehicle damage involved in an accident fall under Collision coverage.
- Comprehensive: Did you leave something in your vehicle by mistake only to find your glass has been smashed by a thief? Did you find your entire car has been stolen? Fire, windstorm, hail, all these plus other events can cause damage which needs to be repaired. These types of occurrences can fall under Comprehensive.
How do I know what type of optional vehicle insurance is right for me?
- Our trusted broker network will walk you through the ABCs of optional vehicle insurance, ask the right questions to learn your needs, and make practical recommendations that fit your vehicle and your lifestyle.
With Basic insurance from ICBC, and Optional insurance from a private provider, will making a claim be inconvenient?
- Absolutely not. Our emergency claims line is open 24-7 to take your call. And our courteous, knowledgeable staff are always happy to take your call.
How can I make a claim against my Optional insurance?
- Please just visit the convenient claims section of our website, or give us a call at 604-282-0761 or 1-833-222-9981. Our staff are here to help!
Can Optional insurance be changed part-way through a policy term?
- Yes! Any changes you may need to make can be made by contacting your broker. Want to add coverage, no problem. Need to change your limits, or even remove a coverage, it’s easy. This is your coverage, the way you need it.
Do I need special insurance for travel outside of the province? How about outside the country?
- Not at all, in fact your coverage is valid all across Canada and the United States. You’ll have to stop at the border at Mexico to purchase coverage valid in that country but otherwise start packing for that road trip, we have you covered. We even have a package that can provide extended benefits should you be stranded, or in an accident and require family to get to you.