No matter how small the collision, you are legally obligated to stop at the scene and exchange information with the other drivers involved. If you hit a parked vehicle with no driver on scene, write down your contact information on a piece of paper and leave it under their windshield wipers.
If the car is undrivable after impact, remain in the car with your seatbelt fastened and call for help immediately.
Check For Injuries
Record Details and Damage
- Date, time and location of accident
- Names, contact info and driver’s license numbers of the drivers involved
- License plate numbers of the vehicles involved
- Record any injuries that occurred in the incident and any damage to the vehicles involved
- Contact information and accounts from any witnesses that were present for the accident
- Details of the weather conditions, road quality, lighting or other factors (eg. intoxication) that might have contributed to the accident
- If it’s safe to do so, photograph or video any damage to the vehicles or surrounding area, along with the position of the vehicles involved, skid marks or damage to public property
File a Police Report If Necessary
In the case of more serious accidents that result in human injury, extensive vehicle damage, damage to property or a criminal offence (such as a hit-and-run or driving under the influence), you will need to file a police report. For minor accidents, skip to the next step.
Contact Your Insurance Provider
You will need to contact your insurance provider as soon as possible to get started with the claim-filing process. Our team is available from 9am to 5pm at 604-282-0671 or 1-833-222-9981 to assist you. Have your name and Stratford policy number ready as you dial, along with details about the incident and any damage that may have occurred to your vehicle.
As a BC driver, you will also need to file a claim with ICBC in certain cases. If another vehicle is involved, if you or someone else has been injured or there is damage to private or municipal property (such as a sign, post or barrier) you must file a claim. You can do so online at this website.
Organize Vehicle Repair If Necessary
If your vehicle incurred damage during the accident, please contact your Stratford adjuster and they will be happy to help coordinate the repairs. If the damage is minor and you would like to handle the repairs on your own, take a look at our extensive network of body shops across BC, as most offer a 10% discount to Stratford drivers.
Only leave the scene once you’re fully recovered from any shock from the accident and feel confident that you’ve collected sufficient details of the incident.